Saturday 22 November 2008

Why I love biking

Jon came up today to ride, at first we had plans for a road ride to Southport but then it was just going to be the two of us so we were going to ride to Altringham with Ali, but the weather and time constraints meant that wouldn't be a good idea either. So I suggested that we rode my local trails, which meant no long map stops and just pedalling to keep warm seeing as it was forecast to be cold cold cold!



Just as we were about to set out I spotted Ali's keys so I thought we'd better drop them off with her. Then Jon realised his chain wasn't on correctly, after watching him struggle for a short while I undid the power link - no idea why he was making it look so hard! After dropping the keys off with Ali, turns out she had taken the front door key off and did have a key! We headed over to Rivington. Once there I took Jon down Jon's 200yards. Past the Lamas, one tried to eat my rucksac!


Then up the commonwealth down, where he rode my bike up and I rode his. I found his hard going, it was just too big, he says mine is lovely but I must have superhuman legs to get up the hills! Then I took him down the ICR, anyone who knows Jon will know he is not the biggest fan of downhills, he cleared it as well! Then over to Healey Nab where Jon thought I was joking when we got to the last drop - it really is a lot steeper than it looks in the photo's it looks vertical from the top - eventually after a few goes I got him down it.











Then we headed to the cafe, while we froze outside and they seemed to forget our bacon butties, but my chocolate cake was good. Before heading home via Belmont Old Road and the cheeky trail I had tried on thursday night, some of it was still a walk even in the light!

A great ride and reminded me how much fun biking is!

30.98miles @ 8.2mph
1100m climbed

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun ride. Poor Jon though, he doesn't like downhills so he's had the Belmont descent in the dark last week, ICR and Healey Nab steps this week. He might like to just gently roll through the Chinese Gardens you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for a lovely ride Trio, I'm glad you enjoyed it. i did too. (secretly even that drop)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh but he has told me he is riding with me to improve his technical riding! he also cleared the ICR whereas I dabbed once!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great ride! Jon looks great on the drop! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photo of the drop is very deceptive (well I think it is). It certainly looked a long way down when I was stood at the top!!

    The first photo is of me pointing out to Trio in no uncertain terms exactly why I had stopped. I certainly wouldn't of rode it if I hadn't of been 'persuaded'. (I'm glad trio talked me into it, eventually).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pictures always make things look easier than they are! It certainly feels vertical when you come up to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. good coaching skills! sometimes rides without any 'training' aims turn out to be the best ones

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most of my rides dont have a training aim as such, I say that since I like sndurance rides they are all just base training, probably why I'm not good at going fast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. About here

    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=363910&y=412570&z=120&sv=363910,412570&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&lm=0

    They are not always out though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, have only been down that way once and was supposed to be passing by the school but we got a little lost. Will need to find my way back over there!

    ReplyDelete