Sunday 13 June 2010

Gisburn Dirty Dozen

This race was on my list to do this year but I never got round to entering. As it got closer it seemed a good idea not to enter. I started a new job, completed 24solo and then the Welsh Ride Thing. I was tired and my body was not happy. A complete rest was needed. I kept having two days off commuting but it wasn't enough. So last week I bought a weekly train ticket, borrowed a brompton from work and had a rest week. Well nearly, there were two track sessions organised through work had to be ridden, but two hours of track riding, a couple of miles (mainly downhill) on a brompton and one 10mile mtb ride to reece a route was a rest. Thursday I felt great, the aches and pains gone so Ali agreed that if I felt that good in the morning I could enter. The organisers were great letting me enter the day before so I was all set.

Friday evening was spent packing - Ali kindly went shopping for me - and making up energy drinks. I was going to this race on my own as Ali was off to a BBQ. A lot of faffing and I realised Rigger still had a puncture from 24solo (he needed a wash as well). That fixed it was off to bed, the race started at 7:30am so I had an early start.

Saturday dawned and Ali was up before me, making me porridge and putting the bikes on the car. I set off before 5:30am and it already looked like an amazing day. Getting there I unpacked my kit and trekster, leaving it all at the Cookson Cycles Gazebo just as Chris(from Cooksons) arrived to cook his bacon. Off to the Car Park I rode back up via registration. All too soon it was race time, I put my food and drinks in the Gazebo set up for soloists, racked my bike and headed down.

The race started with a run, not my forte. But I managed to keep Chris in sight and there were still plenty of bikes when I got up there so I wasn't last! Out on the course and I decided I had made the wrong decision on bikes and singlespeed (especially as I hadn't changed the gear since 24solo) was not the way to go. Everyone was pedalling off down the fireroads and I was spun out. But once I hit the singletrack I was loving it. In fact it probably helped my legs by stopping me using too much energy too early. Back through the pits, one bottle off, one on and out again. I really liked the course. Well except for the raised wooden bit, but that was a mental block. The techy descent we had been warned about was lovely.

After four laps I was told I was the only female soloist so had won. It would have been easy to stop so I set myself a target of 100miles. I worked out this would either be 13 or 14 laps (maths not being my strong point). Chris passed me at the start of my 5th lap, he was in 3rd and flying up the hills. At 7 laps I was going well so thought I would probably manage 14. So I kept pushing, by this point I was having to walk some of the last hill as well as one little rocky bit in the middle of the course. But even with the tiredness and aches and pains I felt good and was having fun. Every picture I have found of me so far I am smiling, I am sure there will be some of me grimacing somewhere as I remember a photographer on the climb.

Lap 13 was finished after 11hours, time for one more shouted the timer so I was back out. A few fast boys passed me but then I seemed to be on my own and getting slower and slower. That was in fact my slowest lap at an hour.

All that was left was to get everything back to the car, bikes on the roof - not fun as my back was hurting - and go to the presentation at the pub. I missed the free food (must pack up quicker next time) but I did win some prizes.

According to my garmin I completed 108miles which I was pleased with. 11th overall in the solo's which I am very pleased with.

Definetly one to do next year, thanks to all the organisers, marhalls and other competitors.

13 comments:

  1. Nice one! Prizes are always good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WhoooHooo, nice race report and congrats. That is so well done. Maybe you just discovered the recipe for a perfect taper. Lots of rest! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done for keeping on going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Top effort. Dead impressed that you kept going to reach your century, but can't understand how you managed to miss the free food! Must try harder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brillian effort, well done. That wooden bit is bad enough when your fresh and only have to do it once!

    ReplyDelete
  6. congratulations. another fab podium finish! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dreat report and good race, well done! we from Bolton need to stick together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done girl... nice work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. great effort, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man that just sounds awesome! Kudos for a top performance! =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Been reading your blog with interest.Think you are a kindred spirit. I have returned to cycling after a big break, (a xc rider in a former life)and I'm drawn now to long events which apart from being competitive events, are personal challenges. Love your 'aims' list. That's my list too! Will ride the Mary Townley Loop very soon and have bought a full suss' for a 12 hr. So impressed that you got the list and then went out and ticked them off.
    An inspiration! Think we have a mutual friend- John Middleton. Go for it girl! Hope I bump into you soon (not literally). Fancy doing anything contact me via Face Book.
    Julie Phelan

    ReplyDelete