Monday 24 November 2008

Getting the layers right

My friend Ros has just got a new road bike so today three of us off shecycles headed out for a road ride from her's. I decided that it would be a great idea to cycle over, even though we were meeting at 9am, inspired by groover who is always up early training. So just after 6am I was out the door. I knew it was going to be cold, but then I didn't want to wear too much so I went for a woolly base layer, jersey, armwarmers, gillet, windproof jacket, shorts, knee warmers, woolly socks and waterproof jacket. I took the waterproof off about halfway there but I seemed to have got my clothing right. Once at Ros's I had a second breakfast - thank you for feeding me again! The got rid of the arm warmers. We set out on a loop towards Macclesfield which turned out to be very hilly. Lots of those nice arrows on the map!
I kindly took a picture of Julie at the top of the hardest climb, but we all got up everything and considering it was Ros's first ride on her new roadie and she felt wobbly standing up that was impressive. After this we dropped down into Whaley Bridge, you think this would have been welcome after all the climbing, but no we had a headwind that was meaning we had to pedal downhill and freezing our hands. There we found a cafe that let us put the bikes in the back garden and I enjoyed my third breakfast, a full English followed by a chocolate muffin. The other two had oat cakes. Then it was a short ride back to Ros's.
I had been considering getting the train back, there is a direct train once an hour but being me I decided cycling was a good idea. So I headed off, I had choosen a flatter way home than I had ridden there on. About ten minutes after leaving I got caught in a snow storm, but it didn't last long. It wasn't long before I was passing the velodrome and I knew it was easy getting home now.

Stats: 80.66miles @ 12.2mph 1851m climbed

10 comments:

  1. A 3 breakfast ride is impressive, big miles needs big food though. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually had four, as I had a bowl of cereal when I got home. My legs are very sore though, not a suprise as they were sore beofre I started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that route through Hazel Grove to Buxton. Remind me on and I will show you a better way through (And where the cafes are!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The roads were brilliant, so hilly and a real challenge! Would like to do them with fresh legs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive climbing! I love the pic with the view from the peak!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An interesting blog with impressive rides. I cant remember how I found the link here but have been reading you for a few weeks now. Never mind the miles......4 breakfasts wow. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. seeing your route has given me a bit of an idea.....maybe when there is more daylight...we should ride to the peak have lunch/breakfast and then ride back. i recon it's about half way?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who needs daylight ;)

    But yes that is a good idea, according to the aa bolton to nottingham is 80miles, so in the middle would be about 40miles and somewhere between buxton and matlock.

    Be a hard ride with the hills but great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Trio, you wouldn't have said this if you had read my blog in winter. I am having a really hard time getting up and on my bike early when it's dark and cold outside. :-)

    Love the landscape and well done on the ride. Sounds like you had a great time. Snow storm on the way home? I'm glad it was you and not me ... I'm a real wuss when it comes to cold.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well this winter you can look at what we are doing over here in the summer and it might keep you going. The snowstorm didn't last long, if it had been much longer I might have been looking for a train station!

    It was a good ride and interesting to see I can get out to the peaks and back in a day on the bike.

    You still get up so early, it is amazing!

    ReplyDelete