Saturday 29 November 2008

Roadie or mountain biker?

Often when people find out I ride bikes they assume its either on road or off-road. If they ask and I say both then they assume I mean on a hybrid or something (nothing wrong with hybrids). When I was up in the Lakes my friend was saying that when he goes out with mountain bikers they think of him as a roadie, to be fair so did I when I met him in the peaks in his club kit flying up hills and crawling down them! But he was saying when he is out with his road club they call him a mountain biker. It made me think, I don't think of myself as any sort, I just love riding. Some days I want to go and do long road miles on my roadie, other days I want to get muddy and have fun on the mountain bike. I was at a ride recently and my friend told me I was turning into a roadie, I suppose I got into all this riding through mountain biking. I guess I wear Lycra most of the time, but too be fair I find it more comfortable especially off-road - although my waterproof shorts are a near constant accessory at the moment and they are baggy. Most of the people I know are exclusively mountain bikers and find the idea of riding on the road apart from to connect trails odd. But I'm just happy if I'm on a bike.



What sort of cyclist would you say you are?

10 comments:

  1. I don't think it matters what you ride, just get out there and have fun. When I'm out and about I feel I have something in common with all bike riders, runners, walkers, kite boarders, surfers etc. We're all the ones out there in the fresh air, braving the weather, enjoying the outdoors. I find it more difficult to connect with people that don't do anything outdoorsy or sporty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are people who don't do anything sporty or outdoorsy? Guess they aren't in my little world ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judging by my mileage splits this month I have spent most of my time on tarmac though on a MTB with slicks on - does that mean I'm confused? Would probably still identify myself as a MTBer first I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recently I can be categorized as a lazy cyclist. I've not ridden a bike outside for nearly a week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can put Jon if you like. I don't mind people knowing that i'm a complete wimp when it comes to down hills.

    Trio has to slow down so that I can keep up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. when it comes to bikes i don't think i have a particular affinity or identity with a specific group. but with running i would like to think of myself as a fell runner, even though most of my miles are done on the road. at heart i just love being outdoors and the further away from civilization the better!!

    rich-i don't think you're taking 'puffer seriously enough ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right, Trio. There seems to be the great divide between Roadies and Mtbers. And then there are also Trackies and cool fixed gear riders. BMX. Cyclocross. What else? I am an ex-Mountainbiker turned Roadie. I still wave to other cyclists on the road, which makes me a very "un-cool" roadie. I second Jumbly and don't think it matters as long as you ride. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been pretty much a roadie this year for sure. I made the mistake of chasing mileage and the best way to do that is on the road. I'm currently pondering a carbon road frame but realise if I do that, I'm pretty much tied to riding road next year as well. I do wish I did more offroad though, but it takes so long to fix the bike back up, dry my shoes, wash my clothes.... Still not sure what I'll be next year. I want to be an offroad singlespeeder though, used to love that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have come across riders who just stick to one type of bike, but to me riding both gives you that more scope to go where you want to. Just being on the bike is good fun anyway, and so friendly, often with all other cyclists acknowledging with a nod or a smile. It certainly makes my ride to work enjoyable, whatever the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a happy to be on a bike sort of cyclist. But, I would have to say I'm a roadie since that's what I have available for ride routes. If I want to mtn bike, it's a drive to get to the trails and it's hunting season now, so I don't want to go in the woods. I can ride the cross bike to some town fields to play on grass though. I wave to all cyclists I see no matter what kind of bike they are on. I do notice that some people are selective about who they wave at. Like, some people wave and smile to me when I'm on my road bike, but ignore me if I am on my mtn bike! That annoys me a bit ;) Oh, I wave to runners, walkers, horse riders...I like seeing anyone out getting exercise and enjoying the fresh air!

    ReplyDelete