Thursday 20 November 2008

Exploring in the dark

I headed out at about 3pm again, so it was lights on ready for when it got dark. I left my route on the map on the wall (now not the same as the one I carried with me). On the way up winter hill I did deviate slightly as I explored a new path at Smithills, it was definetly worth it as although a lot of it was very mud it has a lot of potential and is lovely singletrack.









It was lovely weather as I headed up, well apart from the headwind which meant I was moving so so slow! I even managed to sneak along the road under the mast, no muddy detour today. I kept waiting for someone to come and shout at me. I reached the top just as it was getting dark, probably the worst time to do a descent, lights do nothing but you don't have enough lights. Then on the way back I explored a new path, by this point it was very dark and I walked down it. But I think all but one set of steps will be rideable and I will be back in daylight!
A nice ride and I beat Ali home.
Garmin Stats: 13.73miles @ 7.6mph

8 comments:

  1. no need to sneak, roads pretty much open, I've been using it for over a week now.

    I even found an inner tube on it yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes it a lot easier!
    I managed to lose an inner tube yesterday, one of my few 29er tubes, it was wrapped in cling film if you find it I want it back. But I think it was on the road near me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We could of avoided that bog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No I think the gate was closed when we were up there, anyway you love walking through a bog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that smithills path the one that goes up by the cricket club? Started using it this summer, pretty good in the dry. I normally cut straight across SD rd to Barrow bridge, up passed the golf club, climb up walker fold to holdens farm. Tried a path near Springs Res years ago, sounds like it might be worth a revisit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really struggle with that inbetween twilight time, too light to put lights on but still really murky to see well especially if its cloudy or misty. Good news about the mast road though the bog was fun - ish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donk, I always use the path next to the cricket club, it is weather proof. Normally I then go along the wide track to smithills farm, but I went left at the bottom, it was a little boggy andwould be too busy at the weekend but was good.

    ReplyDelete