Sunday 13 April 2008

Do I need new forks?

So today I have been doing last minute prep on my bike ready for heading up to the lakes. I thought I should make sure it looks loved and not that it has just been sat in my back room for the last two months while I ride my singlespeed. Anyway I have noticed that the forks look nice and worn. In November I had to buy a new shock because of marks like this. So the question is will I have to get new forks or are they fixable, maybe some magic place I can send them could put new stanctions on?

5 comments:

  1. Obviously riding too much!
    -Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. But that doesn't answer my question! I haven't been riding my trek much at all, maybe she is sulking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that fork a Reba cos that has happened on mine- I think grit gets in the seals and if you don't service/clean them out it wears off the coating. I got mine seviced and the shop said ride them into the ground. New stantions are quite expensive- more than the fork would be worth perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stanchions cost a lot as they're part of the crown, so you have to buy the whole bit, which usually runs at about 200 quid.

    I've killed two sets of Fox Forx in the same way (it's the grit around here that does it) and just binned them instead of repairing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So it's new forks. Are they easy enough for me to fit myself? (Yes they are rebas) How do I service/clean the seal for future reference then?

    ReplyDelete