Tuesday 10 November 2009

Riding out of the fog

Last night I headed over to Belmont to meet FatLad and his mate Phil. I was riding there through freezing fog, wondering if I should have put thermals on under my tights and where we were going to ride since we couldn't see! We headed out up the Belmont Road since the cheeky route up was going to be even more of a bogfest than normal. At the top we suddenly came out of the fog and lights could go on full as we flew along to Pigeon Tower. Down the ICR and I was glad I could see. It was nice on fatlad to fall off as soon as it got rocky so we knew where the harder bit started!

Back up to the pike and the views were clear to a point where they just stopped. Off the back and then round and up to Winter Hill. My promises this was the last uphill didn't seem to be believed at this point. We got to the top and the gates were shut and padlocked so it was time to snorkel round the mast to the other side.

Then it was down down down, until Phil threw himself off his bike on one of the few easy bits. Back on and round a corner after the drops and there he is again with a bike on top of him. This time it was easy to see why. At this point we entered the freezing fog again. Slowly back to the road and along to the pub.


A pint and crisps later the two of them headed off in the car and I put on extra layers and headed home. The fog was once again penetrating my tights and I was glad to get home. A quick wash of the bike and me and I was off to bed.

Night riding rocks!

10 comments:

  1. proper winter night riding :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those locked gates are a real pain, the bypass is really muddy. There is a gap in the fence by the gate, so I sneak through there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They've been open the last few times I have been up there. Didn't know about the hole in the fence, although it looked like there might be security up there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Officially bikes are not allowed up there anywhere along the road to the mast as its a private road, but I have never had any problem at all. There is no reason to have the gates locked, the Order they had to close the road for the works on the mast has actually run out months ago. Anyway on second thoughts, probably not best practice to "break in" during the night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No I think I'll just wade round when it is shut!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I came off on the only easy bit, but I was going a fair rate of knotts, then wasn't going very fast on the pothole!

    fully bruised and bone aches today

    ReplyDelete
  7. That may be the most handsome arm and chest I have ever seen ;)

    Awesome ride and a right laugh. Always ace to meet a fellow cycling wordsmith :D

    Thanks again loads for leading us astray!

    Fat Lad

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for coming over to Bolton lads, it was a great ride!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You cleaned you bike then went to bed...that is it I feel inspired to clean my "road" bike now......might go faster

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't say I washed it well and being a singlespeed it takes a lot less time than a geared bike!

    ReplyDelete