Tuesday 27 May 2008

More playing with graphs

Today I had a little play with sportstracks and the ride I did yesterday as I wasn't feeling 100% so I decided not to ride. I split the activity so that the warm up and cool down were seperate. Now you can clearly see the 5 hill repeats I did. In one of the training books I've got I read that "You should finish most workouts feeling like you could have done a bit more"1 well yesterday I think I could have done another hill repeat so it was the right time to stop. I actually started the climb and finished at the same spot each time, but I already know GPS is not 100% accurate when it comes to elevation. On each of the intervals I am getting close to a max of 180bpm. (I am sure my meds are putting an upper limit on my max heart rate in a session. At both SSUK08 and the duathlon where I forgot to take the meds I recorded higher max heart rates). But the thing that has pleased me is that as soon as I reached the top and started coasting down - this was done practically free-wheeling so no effort at all - my heart rate drops back down to near 90 bpm. I'm not sure what I should be aiming for in recovery.
I'm hoping to add a few more structured training sessions to my weeks as at the moment I tend to just go out and ride. This has probably been good base training but now transwales is getting closer and closer. I've just put all my events into a spreadsheet and it now looks like there is very little time left to train between them.
1 From The mountain biker's training bible by Joe Friel

No comments:

Post a Comment