Tuesday 3 March 2009

Trying to ride hard

Today I decided to head over to Rivington and do three laps of the duathlon course hard! I took it easy on the way over and then it was head down. I felt like I was working hard but halfway round the first lap a guy came past and started chatting, till the road went uphill and he disappeared! Another two laps and I was pushing! But I only just averaged over 15mph on each of the laps. Still I haven't done any speed work and I was on my winter roadie and it was raining - stop making excuses trio! A nice slow pootle back home and another 50km on the clock.

8 comments:

  1. As you say no speedwork for a while, settled into a groove. Being overtaken by a bloke doesn't count (I say this to myself a lot).

    Overtaking a bloke of course, does count.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was the fact he then starting chatting and asking me questions. Followed by telling me I was younger than him - I knew that and I was working hard! He though seemed to find it easy! But time to add speed and hills into my training, the easy base miles can't continue forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're disapointed about 15mph in the hills on a heavy winter road bike?

    I think you're setting your standards very high.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hills?

    I rode out there as it is relatively flat! If I did that on hills it would be fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. maybe you need to do shorter distances for speed work, 50km seems a lot but i don't know much about that kinda biking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't explain that very well, I rode 15km out there as a warm-up nice and easy. Then 20km trying to work hard, then 15km home easy - even letting the girl on the old mountain bike overtake me. So I was only doing 20km which I think is probably fine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, ok then. must try harder ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. No worries, mileage is where it's at this time of year!

    ReplyDelete