Monday 19 April 2010

200km - fixed

I had it in my head that I wanted to do a 200km ride, it would be my furthest ride and its a nice round number. The weekend was the ideal time for it and I had a number of plans, then Ali suggested going to Cambridge and maybe I could ride down. It turns out I had plotted this route previously and at over 300km it was going to be a little long. Ali wanted me to spend some time with her and her mum once I got there. So I plotted another route which came out at 206km, ideal. We had planned to leave our house at 6am, instead we got up then. Something to do with me being out late the night before. So it was 9am before I started pedalling.

On my way and it seemed a little hillier than I was expecting, I was wondering if I had made the right choice to try and do my longest ride ever fixed. But the riding was lovely, little country lanes, hardly any traffic and hares in the fields beside me. Soon the layers were coming off as I warmed up. Through the centre of Newark and I knew it was all villages from here on, not that Newark had been that busy unless you count the huge club ride heading out in the opposite direction to me. Somewhere after the outskirts of Grantham I realised I was getting low on water but I thought it would be fine as one of the villages would have a shop. Before that point I had passed a few. But no this was when I started going through villages with no facilities except pubs that were shut. My next thought was to ask the next person I saw gardening, but no they had all disappeared as well. A look on the map and I decided to divert to Bourne as it looked a reasonable size on the map. Stocked up with water and headed back on my way, past an open pub, village shop and petrol station! So I would have been fine. Still on such a lovely day who minded an extra few miles?

At this point I was down to wearing my shorts and jersey, unheard of for me in April. I was amazed at how much stuff I actually got in my rear pockets! I was to find out later that when I put my suncream on I hadn't considered that I would actually take my knee-warmers off and so ended up burnt between my shorts and my knee on the right hand side. It seemed no time at all till I was in Cambridgeshire, fortunately I am all too aware how long a county this is so I didn't think I was nearly there.

I spent most of the time in my own bubble, waving at the odd cyclist who was taking advantage of the weather. Until just before Earith where two cyclists went past me. No one to not take advantage I got onto the rear wheel and stayed them. Some chatting about if I had come far, as soon as they heard they had lots of questions, some chatting about cross racing and that five miles flew by. I was feeling strong now so I decided to push a bit. I was hoping to do the 200km in 10 hours total time, I had my garmin on continuously so my average speed was the overall. Even with the extra distance I could see that 10hours was a possibility. Last stop and text was sent to Ali saying I should be there by 7pm and on I went. Pushing on through the villages I recognised from riding round here previously. Before I knew it I was pulling into Harwick and waving through the window. 15minutes before my 10 hour cut-off. 

Then it was time to go out for Pizza amazing I didn't feel that tired!

So total stats:

Distance: 217.31 km
Elevation Gain: 603 m
Moving Time: 09:01:07
Elapsed Time: 09:53:02
Avg Speed: 22.0 km/h
Avg Moving Speed: 24.1 km/h
Max Speed: 46.5 km/h
Avg HR: 124 bpm
Max HR: 172 bpm

16 comments:

  1. Now that's a long ride! Well done Trio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic effort. I've never ridden that far. let alone on a fixed gear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!
    Well done - thats a cracking ride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trio words (nearly) fail me! VERY impressed.

    Any aches or pains? I had serious back pain after only 4 hours road-riding last week, and I only went 46 miles!! (although more elevation than your ride - are you sure about your elevation figure?).

    Well done again, you're on course for your 24hr ride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant ride Amy,well done

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's quite a bonkers ride on fixed. Chapeau!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barking..................................................Mad!

    Respect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 217k fixed, no coasting? Respect! Corking moving speed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone. It really was a flat ride, hence the low elevation and taking the fixed. But it has given me some confidence for this 24hour thing....although that is a lot longer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cambridge mummy19 April 2010 at 22:29

    Well done Amy. It was lovely to see you over the week-end. You weren't even out of puff when you got here!!lotsaluv Cambridge Mummy and Diz Wiz better known as Ging! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. awesome!!! well done. however, next you come so close please call in, we have running water and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trio gets her knees out.
    W-Hay, it must be summer!!

    What do you mean you wern't tired, Oh lord!! I was on my last legs when I did my ~200km fixed rides the previous weeks, and ached for days after.

    I'm about to give up on this stupid 24hr idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I suspect red you did your 200km on a hilly route, mine was nearly completely flat.

    I realised that kate when I looked at the map later! Maybe next time I will just ride to you stay the night and use your running water then ride home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you're more than welcome but it would be a shame not be able to enjoy the singletrack ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. crikey. I have this dream of catching a train to where I used to live on the south coast and trundling home... one day maybe.

    I just wish I could convert kilometres into real measurements :p

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was 135miles with about 1800ft of climbing. That help ;-)

    ReplyDelete