Thursday 3 December 2009

November Round Up

So how was November. I had planned to get more cross races in but as it happened I only did the two at the end of the month. But I remembered how much fun it was. Running has been going really well, getting out twice a week most weeks. It's still slow but I can run for an hour now without stopping. If I can keep this up it will be good. Again bike miles were mainly commuting miles but getting in the habit of night riding again. I only get out if I'm meeting people at the moment so trying to be more sociable. A couple of weekend rides topped the month off.

The figures:

32.74 mile running
141.40 miles moutain biking (all singlespeed)
97.41 miles cyclo-cross
497.01 mile road

151923m of ascent


Progress on targets:


  1. Run at least once a week Failed in March :o(
  2. Run 300miles in the year 53% complete
  3. Cycle an imperial century a month Failed in March :o(
  4. Cycle 8000miles in the year 97% complete
I'm getting close to 8000 miles on a bike so that will definetly happen. Running I obviously won't make the target so will think about what I want that to be for next year. August and September I didn't run at all so I need to keep it ticking over. For some reason I seem to manage to run more in the winter.

This month I have no real plans, apart from trying to keep fitting key sessions in. It's looking like there will be a lot less work (if any at all) from next week so I may play out on the mountain bike more.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! How many miles? That is v.impressive. Keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done on the running :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm awe'd and inspired by your mileage riding (regaurdless of which type),added all together it's...awe-inspiring,LOL! :)
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started doing this target setting followed by a round up each month after seeing your blog. However, I stopped as I found it quite depressing. I don't know if it was because I set my goals too high or I set the wrong goals or I didn't work hard enough but I never seemed to complete any of them.

    You do tons of miles each month, more than any other blog I read. Does it get you down when you don't complete your targets?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried to be careful with my targets so I don't get demotivated. As it is two of them I only managed for two months. But I am not too annoyed. The run once a week is a target I would like to manage, I think running benefits me in the long term. The century a month was something that I set due to a forum I go on. I don't think I realised how hard it would be to do once I was working again. Since they were failed ages ago I am over the disappointment.

    I should make my bike miles target and I set what I thought was realistic off last years mileage, I suspect I will stick to the same next year.

    Running miles I have no chance, I set that too high I now see, so next year it will be a more realistic target.

    Oddly enough as I beat myself up about a lot of stuff, missing the targets has not been one. I am pleased with what I have managed and as I am quite new to this I will just try and improve my targets next year.

    Oh and yes I do lots of miles, but nothing compared to some - read mattmagic or redbikes blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the attitude I should use. I stress way too much at not reaching targets I set even though I've just plucked them out of the air in the first place.

    I haven't read mattmagic. Redbikes does a lot (like 120 miles on a fixie) but you have done nearly 8000 bike miles in a year. I doubt Red has done much more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suspect he has, I have a lot of days with low mileage he is always doing crazy stuff! I just admit to all my miles!

    I've no idea why I'm not beating myself up, I usually do. I think that to me making 8000miles on a bike was important (I did 7000 last year) I'm easily on target for that so I am happy. I also didn't want to stress about it as I knew that would mean I would just ride road loads to get the miles.

    Maybe next week I will beat myself up about it, we will see.

    Well done on the ultra - sounded crazy hard but fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't beat yourself up on my account.

    I think most of us are the same. It doesn't matter how far we run, how far we cycle or how quick we are, its never enough.

    ReplyDelete