Sunday 27 September 2009

The three peaks

Well I certainly would happily never see Simon Fell again, I knew it looked vertical I didn't realise it actually was! I got onto the first off-road section fine, managing to hold my place in the scary peleton even when one guy tried to dive on top of me! I was off walking a little before I wanted to as there were so many people around but it was fun. That was till we got to the real steep section, everyone came past me as I tried to move upwards, my HR was through the roof yet I was making no progress. Pulling on the fence and grass helped, my bike hitting the wall in front of me didn't! Eventually I got to the top on Ingleborough with maybe two or three people behind me. Still I was so pleased, I honestly thought I wasn't going to get up it!

I headed down and it started to get better, I was passing a few people on the descents and Ali was cheering at the bottom, onto the road and I started to think that maybe I could do this! The road section was lonely and it was windy so there was noone to work with. I briefly caught another girl but pulled away when the road went up. Soon it was the next hill, Whernside, I caught a load of people at the bottom and so had company on my way up. I didn't realise it was possible to move so slowly but this time I didn't feel like everyone was passing me and I kept going! Off the other side and there were a few bits that I had to walk! Scarily I could see someone running the whole descent pulling away from me! I can't walk down the stop with a bike how could he run? Out onto the road again with noone in sight, I had been descenting with someone else who was riding as much as possible but he unfortunately punctured near the bottom. So working into the head wind I headed for Pen-y-gent. This started great, I could ride up it! In fact over half of it was rideable and the rest really was nothing like earlier! (I don't think anything is like Simon Fell!). At the top I headed down, determined to ride, I think I walked two rocky sections and that was it. I passed loads of people as well which helped me stay on the bike!
Then it was one last road section, I pushed hard towing a guy to the finish. I was shocked to finish and actually didn't feel too bad. My lack of an ability on the uphills had meant I couldn't actually push myself as hard as I sometimes do!
So next year??? Well on Simon Fell I thought no way, as I thought I actually wouldn't be able to finish it, but once that was over I was plotting how to train for it! I am starting running again and then next spring I am finding all the steep bits round her and carrying my bike up and down. I think I could knock a lot of time off with just some training! This is one event where cycling fitness is not enought!
I think I just missed five and a half hours. So I wasn't that competitive but I am so pleased to finish something that plays so nicely to my weaknesses!

16 comments:

  1. Wow (for the billionth time this year), that was some event! Well done you - how many guys did you beat?! Seems you've found yourself your next challenge.

    I love the image of you carrying your bike on your back 'for training purposes'. I spose with your steep hills oop north it wouldn't be too unusual (it would get some funny looks on the South Downs, but that's because we haven't got 'proper' hills).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I have anything nearby as close to vertical as simon fell is! But there is certainly no paths that steep!!! I was literally crawling and pulling myself up on the fence. In fact I would have liked a rope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good write up. Well done for finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! Talk about giving yourself a big challenge and meeting it head on and kicking it's arse a bit. I think it's brill that you're already planning how to really get it beaten next year. Chapeau.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well done! this event just sounds so hard, you can't even 'relax' on the descents.

    ...i'll happily come running with you but i'm not carrying a bike ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome!

    Remind me to head in the opposite direction to you if our paths ever cross.

    You'll put us poor commuters to shame :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ride Amy - here's to 2010 - already!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good work. I reckon getting around, getting the measure of the thing, not dieing are all worthy goals first time. People at our end are rubbish at working together on the road aren't they?

    More of a battle than a sporting event though :)

    Do we have to do it all again next year?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done, it's certainly a toughie. Funny how everyone is already plotting how it'll be different next year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done - it sounds scarily hard!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Trio, Just found your blog entry when psyching myself up, by reading other peoples accounts, to enter the 2010 race after the disapointment of my 2009 effort.

    I'm pretty sure that it was me that came down of Whernside with you last year, the puncture really threw me and I made a bad decision about not stopping to fix it straight away. To make things worse another club rider in front of me had an accident coming of Whernside and when I arrived at the road the helpers I was expecting with spare wheels, food and drinks had disappeared to A&E! So with no idea of what had happened I was looking at Penyghent with no water left and a half eaten energy bar. Fortunately all my stuff was waiting at the bottom of Penyghent and I finished in a disappointing 5 hours 49 minutes. So serious training required this summer with the objective of a sub 5 hour finish! If your going to give it another go look out for the lovely orange Stourbridge CC jerseys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jackson,

    I had just been thinking I wouldn't do this event this year but your comment has made me think....maybe! Well Done for carrying on I think I may have given up with a puncture!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done on your effort at last year's 3 peaks. That's really inspiring. It's that time of year when you enter again. Are you doing it? For all the riding I've done, I think that's the scariest bike challenge. Would love to try it, but need to psyche myself up and get in some serious training. I'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm thinking no as I can't see any time for training for scrambling up vertical slopes with a bike!

    Oh and the form wouldn't print at work.

    ReplyDelete