Tuesday 29 September 2009

Novice night riding

Tonight my friend Odile got to go on her first night ride. We set off in the light at Rivington but the cloud we were riding through meant that visibility was limited! Jumbly came out to join us and realised she hadn't done any night riding at all last year!!! How can you let a whole winter go without scaring yourself in the dark? The ride was a nice 10mile pootle, up to Georges Lane, back down, up again and then down again. Up on Georges Lane you couldn't even see the hill the Pike is on!

I came home an easy way, mainly road! Almost took the wrong fork on the only bridleway I did ride and got here just as dinner was ready - timing!

8 comments:

  1. I did plenty of scaring myself in the dark last winter, I just did it all running about and not riding. I will try and balance things out better this winter though. I had fun this evening, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love night riding, I need to try night running though or at least running with a headtorch to scare the Polar bears away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The polar bears were hiding from the rain last night so we didn't see them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watch out for the cows over towards Darwin tower - I nearly ran one over (or ran into one) whilst night riding up there, they seem to stand in the middle of the track just around a bend when it rains so there's less chance of avoiding them..... That black and white is good camoflage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. when's ali going night riding ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This weekend! Lets hope she doesn't hate it too much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm wimping out this winter and buying a set of 900 lumen lights.. My excuse is that i'll ride quicker than with the 200 lumen ones. To be honest, it's so I can see better!

    ReplyDelete